OBEC Academic Scholarships
One of the Ontario Building Envelope Council’s main goals is to support educational programs to the benefit of the building community. In the promotion of this goal, OBEC is pleased to provide academic scholarships for students in post-secondary education programs where building science/envelope is studied. Three scholarships are available each year – two for undergraduate students in their last year of study, and one for a graduate student in support of his or her research. The scholarship award includes a monetary prize, complimentary membership in OBEC for one year, and a one-year mentorship by a building science professional who is a member of OBEC, including guidance on technical issues and career advice.
OBEC Graduate Research Scholarship
- 1-year OBEC membership
- Building Scientist Mentoring
1 available per year
To support the advancement of academic knowledge related to graduate research in the field of building science / the building envelope.
To be awarded to a full-time graduate student enrolled in a qualifying school in pursuit of a Master’s or Ph. D. related to building science/ the building envelope. Selection will be based on past academic achievement and the proposed research to be completed as part of the graduate studies. Meritorious contribution to OBEC will also be considered. Student’s application must be sponsored by a building science faculty member.
Information for Applicants
The OBEC scholarships are awarded based on more than just academic merit. Factors such as meritorious contribution to OBEC and showing an interest in pursuing a career in the field of building science are also taken into consideration.
Who can apply?
Full-time students enrolled in qualifying schools and studying building science / building envelope and related courses.
How will scholarships be selected?
The OBEC Board of Directors appoints a selection panel consisting of board members. The selection panel makes the selection in accordance with the OBEC Scholarship Policies and Procedures. If the scholarship is sponsored, the donor providing the funding of the scholarships may also be a member of the selection panel.
How to apply
- Complete the online application by clicking the Apply Online button below. Alternatively, click the Apply by Mail/Email/Fax button and complete the form on page 2 of our PDF application and mail/or fax it to the address indicated at the bottom of the form.
- Fill out relevant application form and accompanying documentation. Enter your personal details and supporting statements being brief and to the point. Acknowledge the declaration at the end of the application by signing and dating the form. Have the sponsoring faculty member co-sign and date the application form as well.
- Scan a copy of all supporting documentation relevant to the selection criteria and send as attachments with your application form. Applications can be submitted either via email or by mailing the application to the address listed on the OBEC website.
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide all necessary documentation. OBEC will not be responsible for lost, misdirected, or incomplete applications.
- OBEC will acknowledge via email receipt of all application forms and attachments received before the application deadline.
- No documents will be returned to the applicant.
- OBEC will contact all successful applications confirming the outcome of their application as soon as possible.
- Scholarships will be formally presented at a ceremony during one of OBEC’s regular meetings. Scholarship recipients are expected to attend the ceremony. Recipients of the Graduate Research Scholarship will be expected to make a 15-minute presentation on the subject matter of the research on which the scholarship was awarded.
All applications must be received by OBEC no later than February 28.
Scholarships will be awarded in the spring.
If you have questions about the scholarship or need assistance with your application, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com or 647-317-5754.
To apply, you can use our secure online form or simply download our printable Scholarship Application Form (PDF), and mail, email or fax your completed application to the address indicated below.